Earth Day 2019
How can you do your part to save energy?
Make changes at home:
- Change 5 Lights. Replace your 5 most frequently used lights or the bulbs in them with ones that have earned the ENERGY STAR.
- Shut off the lights when you're done using them, and turn off the TV, computer, and video games when you leave the room.
- Take a short shower instead of a bath. It can take approximately 25 gallons of hot water to fill the bathtub, compared to only seven gallons for a quick shower.
- Have your heating and cooling equipment serviced annually and remember to replace air filters regularly.
- Use a programmable thermostat.
- Seal up your home. Seal air leaks, add insulation and choose ENERGY STAR qualified windows.
- Plant a tree to help shade your house on hot summer days.
Make changes at work:
- Put your computer and monitor to sleep while not in use.
- Print and copy double sided on each piece of paper.
- Turn off your light at night.
- Recycle 10 percent more at work.
Make changes in your commute:
- Drive Smart. Go easy on the brakes and gas pedal, reduce time spent idling and unload your trunk.
- Don’t forget the tune-up. A well-maintained car is more fuel efficient, more reliable and safer!
- Check tire pressure regularly. Under inflation causes increased wear and decreased gas mileage.
- Give your car a break. Try to combine activities into a single trip; use mass transit; walk or bike whenever possible.
Share how you are making strives to save energy:
Tell family and friends. We’re asking you to help spread the word that energy efficiency is good for your home and the environment.